The Pursuit of Healthiness

The Pursuit of Healthiness
Your Guide to Getting Healthy

Friday, August 19, 2011

Tip #11: Thinking Negatively Gets You No Where

I recently picked up the book Skinny Bitch, thinking that it was a diet book that would be sarcastic and funny, based on the title. I was sadly mistaken. The book says that it gives you tough love when all it really does is insult you and decrease your self esteem. It basically calls the reader a fat pig. Its like a bully in a book. Do yourself a favor and skip reading this one.

Truth is, when it comes to creating a healthier life, tough love is not what you want. I admit that I'm sensitive on topics like my weight so reading that eating a burger makes me a fat cow doesn't exactly put me in the right mindset to want to lose weight. For me, I found that the happier I feel about myself, the more I want to treat my body right. Many people are emotional eaters, like me. When someone used to mock my weight, it only made me sad, which made me eat more. I'd convince myself that I wasn't worth losing the weight. That I wasn't worth increasing my lifespan and that I'd never reach the hourglass figure I wanted anyhow so it wasn't worth trying. So I ate, and ate, and ate.

The best thing for emotional eaters to do is to let go of the negativity. Surround yourself with people who know that you are trying to get healthy and are supportive of your mission, not rude-comment-making, self-esteem-busting frenemies. Keep a good friends number handy to call when you feel so bad to that you are ready to start a binge session, so that he or she can talk you down from the ledge and put your emotions back in check. Try reading a book that is uplifting, like Portia Di Rossi's Unbearable Lightness. Reading about her overcoming her own problems might help you do the same. Or squeeze in a workout you like. It gives you endorphins which makes you happier and healthier. Plus I always found that a workout can clear my mind and relax me better than any slice of cake is anyway.

The thing is, being overweight doesn't make you a pig. Last time I checked people look nothing like them and have different gene codes anyway. If you are overweight, yes, losing a little weight won't hurt you, as long as you don't overdo it. Listening (or reading) negative comments, though, that does hurt. Bullies, wherever they may be, aren't worth the time listening to. I'm not trying to give you that speech saying that they are just jealous or wish they could be you. I'm saying that bullies are people that don't deserve your time. They make life harder and take too much effort to deal with. Ignore them and focus on the good people (and good books) in your life that are worth the effort and time. They'll make you happier in the long run. There is no sense in pleasing bullies, and trying to lessen their insults is doing exactly that.

No comments:

Post a Comment